Nuffnang Ads

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Diamonds - how much?

While Ray heads out for coffee with friends and I'm stuck here at home because of my ovaries that have decided to shrivel up and give me cramps; I guess I'll kill my time of the night by writing about DIAMONDS!

I guess I'm somewhat of a magpie. I am super allured to things that shines. Am so not trying to pull a Xiaxue here. Oh please. Xiaxue is Xiaxue, Zelda is Zelda. There is no similarity here (not forgetting the obvious physical H differences). Ok whatever, don't hate her, don't love her. Tried crystallizing my fisheye and my hard disk which both are still incomplete. Fine whatever. I'm a sloth. Well back to the topic at hand, is it really worth to pay so much for diamonds?

On one of our date escapades, Ray and I decided to check out the diamond rings at Tiffany's. My boyfriend still thinks that engagement rings like this and
this are wedding bands. Well, I have insisted that jewelery of such are meant for engagement but he claims otherwise. And of course the price tag behind each piece could very well be a down payment for a 4 room flat or even the price tag of a Korean car. If my memory serves me fine, for a 1.5 carat rock Ray would have to pay $32,000 if he were to marry me. I'm awfully fine if yours truly gets such a ring. But my 24 year old boyfriend almost had a heart attack in the Tiffany's store.

So, is it worth it? It is merely nothing more than a rock. Well, a rock that looked like this before cut and with the help of expert jewel makers turn into this and
this
and this. Damn, I love the clarity.

We have all watched the movie Blood Diamond. If you have not, please get your sorry ass to VideoEZ and rent it. Seriously shame on you. Many of us, have no idea how diamonds are extracted. I know I'm ignorant to such stuff. I think diamonds were mined by dwarfs when I was a kid. Yes the seven dwarfs. Well, I guess diamonds may seem to be a mockery of the ignorance that we don't see. Perhaps that answers the price tag.

I'm not saying I hate diamonds. End of the day I still love diamonds but I'm more aware about it's purpose. I'm just saying that (blatantly) it is to each its own to concur their choice towards this expensive rock.



No comments: